View Larger Map
Greetings from a weary traveler!
The last leg of my ministry of contact and preparation has been perhaps the most schedule-intensive as I traveled to three state capitals in just over a week. My trip took me to the relative cool of the southern Brazilian city of Curitiba, to the warmth of Brazil's central west in Campo Grande and finally to the humid and hot north Amazon basin in Belém do Pará. It is a journey of almost 4500 miles for which I am thankful for the advent of air travel.
Curitiba
It was my first visit to Curitiba since 2008 when I traveled with Rev Sam and Matt L. At that time, we were unable to have any substantive contact with the church family as they were on retreat. However, this visit was much more valuable as I was able to meet with pastors and some leaders to discuss the possibility of JEMS' ministry in July or in the coming years.
(All photos should be expandable by clicking on the photo)
As in much of Brazil ministry, key moments of discussion and conversation are often held around a meal. Many Facebook friends have asked why Pastor John is always pictured while eating. This is part of the ministry and relational reality of South America. Bonds of friendship and fellowship are formed around a supper table or with the passing of the chimarrão (bowl of gaucho tea).
Curitiba also provided insights into the ongoing challenges of ministry to the Japanese speaking community as I met with Pastor and Mrs Shingai of the Holiness Church (below).
Being in Curitiba on a Sunday afforded me the opportunity to preach twice. The morning service was conducted in Curitiba itself, while the afternoon service was held at a preaching point some 90 minutes away in the city of Paranaguá.
I am blessed and grateful for the warm reception of Pastor Orlando and Pastora Silvia (pictured below) during my stay in Curitiba.
Campo Grande
From the southern city of Curitiba, I traveled to the central west city of Campo Grande. I was a bit troubled by published reports that dengue fever had significantly impacted that city with over 18,000 confirmed cases in the first five weeks of 2013. I was assured by my homestay family that appropriate care could be taken to minimize the risk. Needless to say, I was careful to apply repellent daily. Teams which go to Campo Grande in July face minimal risk as it is both winter and dry season during that month.
As in Curitiba, it was my purpose in Campo Grande to share about ministry partnerships with JEMS. Meetings with Pastor Vagner and others were very helpful to get a sense of the church's interest and receptivity.
![]() |
| Pastor Vagner and family (center left), Coushi and Toshie, host family |
![]() |
| Campo Grande Youth at Itiki home and pastel supper |
Belém do Pará (pronounced, "bay-layng"
Despite seriously messing up my itinerary by missing a connecting flight, I was able to arrive at my next city, in Belém do Pará, the old stomping grounds of the Yamadas and Iwanagas.
In all honesty, this city has not been on my agenda because I remembered the very challenging climate of the Amazon region. But I am so happy to have overcome my reticence and included the Igreja Cristã Evangélica do Amazônas on my schedule. What a blessing to see Pastor Josué, Suzana and the ICEA church family again!
In addition to meetings with the pastor, I was able to share with the men at a Friday night "old guys" futsal (indoor soccer) game, to visit another mission organization, to visit the Palavra da Vida (Word of Life) seminary and campground, take a brief tour of the city and to preach on Sunday morning.
| With missionaries, Lynne and Bete |
| Staff of mission team working in Benevides |
| Some faculty and staff of Palavra da Vida Norte |
| President of Palavra da Vida Norte, Gary P |
| The famed Ver-o-Peso Market in Belém |
| Panoramic view of the Amazon River |
| Youth at futsal |
| Special family in Belém |
| Youth in Belém |
Won't you consider an investment in ministry this year? Please pray for God's direction as to service in South America this summer.
Posts you may have missed:
- The Highs of Travel in São Paulo State - Link
- In Country - End of January 2013 Prayer Update - Link
- Pastor John´s January and February ministry schedule. Please pray!! - Link
- Happy New Year photo from Pastor John and his kids!! - Link







No comments:
Post a Comment