As we reflect on this Christmas season, may we be reminded of the word, "Immanuel." The word found in Matthew 1:23 provides us with both its purpose and its meaning. “The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel” (which means “God with us”).
"God with us" has been a source of comfort throughout the historical, biblical account. God used these words many times to bring encouragement, to bolster courage, to provide assurance.
To Isaac, as he started out afresh in a new land: "The Lord appeared to him the same night and said, “I am the God of your father Abraham; Do not fear, for I am with you. I will bless you, and multiply your descendants, For the sake of My servant Abraham.” (Genesis 26:24)
To Joshua, as he took over the leadership of the people of Israel: "As I was with Moses, so I will be with you; I will never leave you nor forsake you." (Joshua 1:5)
To Isaiah, as he undertook the prophetic ministry: "‘Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, surely I will help you, Surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.’" (Isaiah 41:10).
Time and time again, the Immanuel of scripture provided what was necessary for God's servants to respond in faith and courage.
For those who walk in the world today, we can use the reminder that God continues to be with us. We are not immune from the challenges and tragedies that often come with life. What we are promised as God's children is the assurance of God's steady and faithful presence with us. The Immanuel must ring clearly in our hearts when we are weakened or frustrated or ready to call it quits.
God is in our midst.
And while the temptation is to be so easily distracted, we need this season to center our thoughts and our hearts on the presence of God, the Immanuel. It's easy to miss him in the midst of our technologies, our texts, our social media, our families, our jobs, our activities. We can find ourselves looking at the swirling confusion that is our lives and miss the quiet stillness of the Immanuel who still waits for us.
In the well-known painting of Vincent Van Gogh, The Starry Night, our eyes are caught up by the brush work of stars and clouds and sun and moon. We can easily miss the spire of the church below. And yet for many art critics and historians, that church is the center point, the anchor of the painting, drawing the eye earthward.
Do we need to find our anchor again? It will not be in the church necessarily, but in the Immanuel. The center point, the stable point is in Jesus Christ, God's provision for us.
Wishing you God's warmest blessings for the Christmas season and wonderful hope for the New Year! May God be with you!
Merry Christmas from Pastor John
Please enjoy this beautiful rendition of a contemporary praise song entitled, "Emmanuel" by Hillsong:


No comments:
Post a Comment