Please pray for the ministry of Pastor John at JEMS as he mobilizes teams to serve in South America and Japan. -------- "I lift up my eyes to the mountains - where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth." - Psalm 121
Tuesday, October 14, 2014
Language isn't my thing.
At my age, language acquisition is a God thing. As one who doesn't speak a lick of Japanese, I take no credit from those who suggest that I have an aptitude or facility for language learning. May I say in the kindest way I can? Baloney! Someone very close to me once said, and I quote, "You're a complete idiot when it comes to languages."
That statement was so true. But it also served to show the incredible nature of God's provision for my ministry in South America when I began serving in Brazil some twenty-three years ago.
May I say it again for those who haven't caught up yet . . . It's a God thing. I'm bordering on 63 years of age and have recently taken up Spanish. Who does that? Especially when I'm not always clear what day of the week it is without looking at my smartphone.
I post these videos for you, not to show off. God forbid! I show these to you to remind you that God can do incredible things when we are willing to be used by him.
I hope to continue to grow my Spanish fluency. But first, here is a brief excerpt of my sharing in Portuguese at the Igreja Metodista Livre de Sorocaba (Sorocaba Free Methodist Church) on September 28, 2014.
Translation: "(God is) opening the door to Argentina. We are also working in Paraguay. Now I will go to Lima to investigate the possibility of doing ministry in partnership with the Nikkei churches there. I would like to ask for your prayers for our ministry here in South America."
Switching gears. In Lima, I'm able to use my rudimentary Spanish at introductory meetings with pastors.
The following Sunday, I was asked to briefly preface my morning message with brief greetings in Spanish at the Misión Cristiana Holiness in Lima, Peru. My interpreter was also at the ready in case I stumbled!
Thank the Lord because he is good!
Thank you for partnering financially with my language studies this past August!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment