Monday, November 03, 2014

Celebrating God's Faithfulness

I've been back in the US for three weeks after an extended mission trip to South America that spanned the months of July to October.  It's a joy to be back home and to be able to share with friends and supporters about God's goodness during this mission which covered four countries.  

The LA Holiness Church and Pastor Seigo was kind enough to invite me to share this past Sunday.  I am also available to share with other friends, supporters and churches as well. 
 



Perhaps the most tangible expression of God's care came during pastors' meetings in Lima, Peru.  We were gathered outside a local Starbucks in a fairly upscale shopping center.  Our meetings had gone well as we met with various Nikkei leaders and pastors.  
We were in our second set of meetings when we were addressed by a young man in English.  After asking his question, he walked off.  At the same moment, I happened to look down at my feet to notice that my backpack, which had been next to me on the ground, was no longer there.  "Where's my backpack?" I asked no one in particular.  The other pastors, Lima locals, jumped up and immediately sprang into action.  One pastor had seen someone go down the stairs with a black backpack, but he didn't know it was mine until I called attention to the fact that it was missing.  
This photo was taken about five minutes before the incident
It was a gang of four.  Three of them, including a ten-year old girl, had casually seated themselves at the table next to ours.  They were well-dressed and looked like any family taking a break from shopping.  The young man who asked the question was the diversion.  While our attention was focused on him, the three who were seated behind me, casually took my backpack and walked away in the opposite direction.

God's care took the form of my notion to check for my backpack.  No reason.  I wasn't suspicious of the circumstances at all.  But as soon as I alerted the others, they reacted.  

The three pastors gave chase and caught three of the robbers about 200 yards away, walking quickly through the mall, trying to stuff my backpack into another white plastic bag.  The pastor grabbed my backpack and tenaciously held on.  The other pastor called the police who were patrolling close by.  When the policemen approached, the man holding my backpack let go and ran off.  We were left with the other male accomplice and the ten year old girl.  

We made the report with police.  Unfortunately, there were no consequences for the thieves as I could not make a court appearance the following week to press charges.  Sadly, they were free to find another victim. 

But I have to say again that God was caring for us.  There was no particular reason for me to look for my backpack.  In fact, Akira, one of the young men with whom we were meeting said, "If you had discovered it missing thirty seconds later instead of when you did, it would have been gone for sure."  It would have been somewhat disastrous as all my money and my travel documents (passport) were in that backpack.  

We learned an important lesson about vigilance and also the need to establish a specific security protocol for work in Lima.  But more important was the lesson we learned about the faithfulness of God.
It goes without saying that I treated my backpack rescuers to lunch later that day.  

2 comments:

Evelyn said...

THank You, Lord, for protecting PJ in this latest adventure.

Anonymous said...

Wow!! Praise God for His protection!

Pastor John, I wish we could get together more often. I always enjoy talking with you. I'm glad Darryl has included us in sending your prayer letter out.