Dear friends and supporters,
Since the beginning of the year, my plan has been to end the summer with a fact-finding trip to Japan. It was to be my first visit to that country. My purpose was to visit the ministries of the Brazil Holiness and Free Methodist churches and their work among the dekasegi (South American Nikkei workers in Japan). As optimistic as I have wanted to remain, the reality is that I am daily having to endure pain and take the necessary pain relievers to allow me to move from place to place here in South America.
I may have also been somewhat psyched out by a co-worker's comments about the amount of walking I would have to do in Japan, the rush to catch trains or other transportation, the multitude of stairs and lack of basic access. In anticipation of the time that I'll need to spend on my feet in Japan, at this point I find that upon serious prayer and reflection, I am less inclined to undertake this trip.
The difference for my service in South America is that I am blessed to have the networking here where long-time friends and pastors have kindly provided transportation. Being my first visit to Japan, conditions and relationships are not the same.
Please be assured that I am not afraid of any work, ministry-wise (I've been invited to preach and teach Bible in Portuguese, as well as provide English classes), but the simplest of tasks, such as walking, has become very difficult for me. I've spent this last week at a youth camp in the Amazon area. It's really a nice facility, but I have found it painful to walk even the shortest distances from place to place. As Clint Eastwood said in the movie "Magnum Force," 'A man's got to know his limitations.'
On the first full day in Belém, our team was treated to an Amazon River excursion. It included an unexpected hike of twenty minutes in the sand, in 90 degree weather, in 95 percent humidity, to arrive at an island restaurant. Needless to say, it was quite the chore to get from Point A to Point B. I mentioned to my hosts that because of my back issues, I would find it difficult to return to the excursion boat. As a result, he went off to find a resolution to my problem. By God's grace, this is what he came up with:
You know, I hated being a burden to those who traveled with me that day. As a result of my experience, I have spoken to JEMS Executive Director, Pastor Rick Chuman, and upon discussion have decided that I would not pursue this exploratory trip to Japan. I have subsequently written to the two pastors in Toyohashi and Eichizen with many apologies, describing my situation and they have agreed to permit me to withdraw from this ministry commitment in Japan at this time.
Rick is still researching the possibility of his continuing the trip in my absence. This contact with the Brazilian Nikkei in Japan is an important networking contact for JEMS. Please pray that doors that have been opened may provide good avenues of ministry. I also appreciate prayer for my own physical situation.
Tenho passado uma semana e meia na cidade de Benevides no Pará no norte do país. Durante esses dias eu fiquei consciente do estado da minha saúde. Tenho sofrido com problemas de coluna que estão causando dores em minhas costas e em minhas pernas. Tenho uma condição médica chamada "spinal stenosis" em inglês e a situação está piorando. Diariamente estou tomando remédios para aliviar o dor.
Até agora tenho aguentado esses problemas em outras cidades do país por ajuda dos amigos que me leva pra qualquer lugar de carro. Mas aqui pela estrutura normal do acampamento eu não estou conseguindo andar nem mesmo nas distâncias curtas. Estou descobrindo que estou sofrendo com mais e mais dores de costa e de perna.
Alguns dias atrás durante uma conversa com pastor Rick Chuman, eu falei sobre minhas dúvidas sobre uma viagem planejada para conhecer o Japão. Eu tenho o receio de ser uma carga para outros e não quero atrapalhar o ministério no Nihon. Por este motivo, estou achando melhor para desistir e não ir mais ao Japão em agosto. Não tenho nenhum problema com trabalho entre as igrejas (fui convidado pregar, ensinar a Bíblia e mais em português, e também ensinar aulas de inglês). Mas tenho bastante ansiedade andando e ficando muito tempo em pé.
Estou pedindo mil desculpas porque eu sei que os pastores tem arrumado seus calendários para receber Pastor Rick e eu. Mas pra mim está ficando claro que eu não posso fazer viagens para lugares desconhecidos com essas problemas de saúde e dor.
Pastor Rick falou hoje que ele esta ainda disposto para visitar os ministérios entre os dekasegi. Pedimos suas orações pela orientação de Deus neste sentido.

3 comments:
Yikes...the ride back looked very painful as well. As a former back sufferer (had a surgical laminotomy done in 1992) I can feel every painful jolt of walking, riding and just getting around. Prayers for God to sustain you and that you do not suffer from any long term effects of this trip.
I'm so sorry you are having these problems. Pain is very wearing and you are in my prayers for healing and easing of your pain. May the Lord bless you and carry you through this tough time.
In Him, Louise Hagan.
John, you're making the right decision. Lots of walking in Japan! Randy Fukuda 😁
Post a Comment