Please pray for the ministry of Pastor John at JEMS as he mobilizes teams to serve in South America and Japan. -------- "I lift up my eyes to the mountains - where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth." - Psalm 121
Tuesday, October 01, 2013
Back in the 626
Thank you very much for your prayers on my behalf. I'm sitting in the JEMS Office after a week of recuperation to express my appreciation to God for his sustaining grace during these past three months.
After three months away, I was able this morning to go to my auto mechanic to fix a problem with my car. Just prior to my departure for South America in June, while running errands, I got into my car, and leaned across to open my glove compartment. That resulted in several coins falling out of my pants pocket and onto the car seat. A dime rolled off the seat and made a perfect entry into to the slot of my seat belt buckle.
Not realizing that the dime had fallen into the slot, I tried to secure my seat belt, only to find that the tongue (that's what it's called) would not latch. The coin was blocking the way. Not realizing what had happened, I tried to force the seat belt to latch, but only succeeded in wedging the coin in further.
After several failed attempts to remove the coin, I gave up as I didn't have time to fix the situation before leaving. To avoid a possible ticket, I simply buckled my seat belt into the passenger seat buckle whenever I had to drive.
Why did I tell you this story?
Much of my ministry involves working to build connections with people from other cultures and languages. Sort of like buckling a seat belt, as it were. Because we are not always familiar with customs and language, small things like gestures, a facial expression, an unpleasant attitude or the choice of vocabulary can obstruct our efforts to make those connections. When we try to force things, the obstruction simply becomes wedged in even deeper.
Cross-cultural ministry requires wisdom, finesse and an outpouring of God's Holy Spirit to keep obstructions at a distance. We prayerfully depend on the Lord to provide us with a sense of timing, wording and open doors.
The caption on the bridge-building photo just above says, "Seek to encourage, to connect, to strategize, and to share a vision with those who will come after."
I am grateful that God has provided many open doors for JEMS in South America through years of relationship and bridge building. People like Rev Ray and Ryoko Narusawa, Rev. Roy and Nana Yamamoto and Rev. Sam Tonomura are still remembered in Brazil with fondness. Our JEMS summer volunteers throughout the years have, for the most part, left positive impressions that enable JEMS to continue their ministry of service and servanthood.
God has also blessed my time in South America. My ability to speak Portuguese is a gift of God. It creates just enough curiosity that through the blend of teaching God's word, a unique talent for cross-cultural relationship-building, a good sense of humor and flexibility, doors continue to remain open or are now opening.
Please pray as JEMS South America Department launches its newest missions strategy in Brazil. We are inviting Brazilian Nikkei to serve with JEMS cross-culturally in Argentina. Lord willing, I will be leading a team of Brazilians to serve this January in three cities: Buenos Aires, La Plata and Colón.
Please pray for this January project:
1. That the Brazilians who have indicated their interest will follow through. Four have already dropped out.
2. That my back pain will be resolved. (I was just diagnosed on Friday with arthritis in my lumbar vertebra. This is causing pain in my back as well as pain and weakness in my legs when I am walking.)
3. Pray overall that others may be led to join my prayer and financial support team. I am unable to serve full-time with JEMS as my support requirements have not yet been reached.
Thank you so much! It's good to be home. Make sure to see my tongue-in-cheek post called, "Top Ten Reasons I'm Happy to be Home!"
Blessings from Pastor John!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment