Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Top 10 reasons I'm happy to be home!


In case you didn't know, I'm home.  And I have 10 reasons why this is a good thing!

1.  Family.  I have a new granddaughter!  
Need I say more?

2.  My bed.  I've counted over 30 different sleeping arrangements over the past 90 days.  These have included a mattress thrown on the floor, an overnight bus ride, and beds in twenty different cities and three different countries.  There is nothing like coming home to one's own bed.

3.  Toilet paper.  South America, as a rule, does not have the kind of plumbing that allows for the flushing of toilet paper.  Your soiled toilet paper is placed in a waste can next to the toilet.  It's nice to be home and flush away.

4.  Tap water.  Nowhere in South America is it a good idea to drink water from the tap.  The issues could range from bacterial to mineral content causing mild to major discomfort.  One never just fills a cup with unfiltered tap water to drink.  All drinkable water must be purchased in bottled form.  

5.  Mexican food.  Although a staple of Brazilian cuisine is rice and beans, it is not the same.  Those who ask if Brazilian food is anything like Mexican food need to look at a map of the Americas.  

6.  English.  God has been so gracious to bless me with the ability to speak, preach and pray in Portuguese.  But simply being able to speak English with my homies is a genuine source of praise.

7.  My car.  I haven't driven in three months.  You miss it when you don't have it, believe it or not.

8.  Non-suitcase life.  I've lived out of a suitcase for three months.  This means a limited wardrobe and the constant concern for where I might encounter a washing machine, or whether the day will be sunny enough to dry clothes hanging on an outdoor line.   I have three identical black polo shirts in case you are wondering why I'm always wearing the same clothes in those Facebook photos.

9.  Receipts.  Although this was a mission trip, it was also a business trip.  This means that every expenditure has to be accompanied by a receipt.  Every expenditure.

10. Technology.  At home you can expect to find a wifi or 3G connection at little or no cost.  In South America, the search for wifi is much more of an adventure.  In fact, my favorite application was something called "Mandic Magic," which enabled me to find nearby wifi signals if I wasn't in a familiar location.  

And international 3G? It was something to be used sparingly.

Please don't imagine that I was unhappy to be in South America.  Far from it!  I am blessed to be able to serve there.  The people have been warm and welcoming.  It's just that it's also nice to be able to come home, be renewed and refreshed, before heading out again.  

Thank you for your prayers and support!  

Blessings from PJ

No comments: