Friday, June 13, 2014

“Good thing I'm aging, otherwise I'd be dead.” ― Ana Monnar


I know that age is a state of mind, but somewhere along the line, my body didn't get the memo.  If aging only involved the graying or loss of hair, that would be wonderful.  Unfortunately, the last five years has been an increasing struggle with health and physical challenges.  

Thankfully, my kidney function remains stable at 12% (God's grace has enabled me to so far avoid hemodialysis), but the gradual degeneration of my lumbar disc (spinal stenosis) and accompanying sciatic pain have hobbled me, depending on the day.  Some days, it's an effort to walk even half a city block painfree.  It's this challenge that confronts me as I look ahead to three months in South America this summer.  


I take encouragement from the Apostle Paul who wrote the following in 2 Corinthians 4:16-18:



"Outwardly we are wasting away," he writes.  I can relate to that most days.  But I assure you that I am no masochist.  Rather, God has placed this passion in my heart for the people of Brazil, Argentina, Paraguay and Peru.  It will be a great privilege to serve the Nikkei community there and to share with them the good news of the gospel.

Looking back at verse 16, he begins with the thought, "Therefore we do not lose heart."  The word "therefore" is key.  It provides the basis of what follows.  His effort, his passion, his desire to serve Jesus Christ comes from what precedes the "therefore."  Let's look at what he says in verse 15.



What is our desire?  That God's grace might reach, touch and transform more and more people.  The result will be GREAT thanksgiving and more GLORY will be directed to God.  

Thank you for your partnership in prayer and financial support!  It enables JEMS to reach a neglected and resistant Nikkei community for Christ.  Thank you for your prayers for my health and for my days to be welcomed with joy and not with a wince of pain.  

Blessings to you!



2 comments:

CAA said...

Thx for sharing the scripture and wise words. I'm praying for the regeneration of your lumbar disc. May God allow you to continue serving him in South America for many years to come.

Suz said...

John I'm not sure how spiritual it is to say, "Keep Truckin for Jesus." Bless you as you lay everything at the alter including your physical health and well being.