I've had this map for some time. If you are a cartophile (lover of maps), you should click HERE for a super huge image!! (Once at the link, you can find the enlarge icon on the lower right corner. You'll have to click two times). The limitations of this blog template don't allow me to enlarge it very much within the post.
Every now and then I pull it out to reflect on the patterns of immigration and settlement undertaken by Nikkei pioneers in Brazil. Dated from the early 1900's (though I need some confirmation of the exact date of this document), the map shows the locations and populations of the various pre-war Japanese colonies in the state of São Paulo.
It's also an interesting map strategically. Though a number of the smaller colonies have disappeared with the movement away from the coffee and agricultural crops that were once the state's powerhouse, many Nikkei remain in interior cities and communities. It was this map that influenced in great part my travels in Brazil in 2012 and 2013.
JEMS' theme "Jesus to every Japanese. Jesus every day" underscores the importance of sharing the message of the gospel to the historically resistant and under-reached Nikkei community. Twenty-four years ago, the 10/40 window came into prominence as a missions strategy and vision. And yet with less than 2% of the Japanese and Nikkei peoples reached worldwide, there is a need to redefine our ministry and redouble our efforts.
Please pray with me as I outline my ministry plans for September in Brazil.
Thank you!

No comments:
Post a Comment