Click to enlarge photo
Questions and answers. Reflection and laughter. The intimacy of a small group.
I enjoy teaching the Bible. While preaching is generally the medium for reaching larger groups, I enjoy the dynamics of discussing scripture around the table, in a circle of chairs or in the comfort of a living room.
Jesus used both environments, speaking to thousands on a mountain or to hundreds along the shore of a lake. He also met people in their homes, reclining at table over a meal, or simply instructing the twelve disciples.
I'm grateful for the flexibility of a format best suited to the needs of the groups to whom I serve.
Because preaching doesn't generally encourage interaction, frankly, you get the most interesting comments and questions in the context of small group study. Like the question I received last week about the practice of bigamy. Sometimes the conversation can go off the rails here, but it provides a good opportunity to be stretched and to test my understanding of God's Word, his nature and his purpose for our lives.
No comments:
Post a Comment