My appreciation for your prayers and expressions of concern for my health situation. After consulting with two orthopedic surgeons I have determined not to move forward with spinal surgery. Instead I will be taking some prophylactic measures to strengthen my back and spine. The damage is irreparable, but I'm hoping to do what I can to mitigate the pain.
That being the case, I am planning to work to strengthen JEMS' overseas partnerships this summer.
Summer plans for PJ (Lord willing)
June 29 - July 15 São Paulo city and state (southern Brazil). Many of our ministry partners are centered in the state of São Paulo, which boasts a Japanese (Nikkei) population of around 694,000. The state has an area equal to the square mileage of Oregon, but with an overall length equal to the distance between San Diego and San Francisco. I will meet with leaders throughout the state and to share God's Word through speaking opportunities!
Additionally, one of our teams, led by Greg Oda, will be serving in the cities of Presidente Prudente and São Paulo from July 6 - 18 should the team be successful in recruiting team members. If you are interested in serving with Greg this summer, please contact me below.
August 5 - 10 Dominican Republic (tentative). I was hoping to attend this year's COPANI (Convention of Pan American Nikkei) in Santo Domingo, but I am inclined to prioritize other ministry opportunities and will likely not participate.
August 14 - 28 Japan. In response to the invitation of a Brazilian Nikkei pastor working among the dekasegi (laborers from South America working in Japan), Pastor Rick Chuman and I will be meeting with churches, pastors, campgrounds and the expatriate community in various Japanese cities.
That being the case, I am planning to work to strengthen JEMS' overseas partnerships this summer.
Summer plans for PJ (Lord willing)
"In their hearts humans plan their course, but the LORD establishes their steps." (Proverbs 16:9)
"I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my loving eye on you." (Psalm 32:8)
"I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my loving eye on you." (Psalm 32:8)
June 16 - 22 Buenos Aires, Argentina. I will be meeting with Nikkei pastors to plan for camping ministries in January 2016 (DV). We hope to continue our efforts to equip Brazilian young people to cross cultural barriers to serve their South American neighbor.
June 22 - 29 Asunción, Paraguay. With the departure of missionaries, Pastor Koki and Mari sensei from the Japanese Free Methodist Church in Asunción, it will leave the ministry in the hands of young, but capable lay leaders. I will be meeting with the leadership to learn what role JEMS may play in supporting their ministry.
![]() |
| 2014 JEMS Brazilian Team serving with Pr Rodríguez in Colón, Argentina |
![]() |
| PJ with Pastors Uesu and Yonamine of Buenos Aires, Argentina |
![]() |
| Yosuke and Lumi, lay leaders in Asunción, Paraguay |
![]() |
| Pr John preaching in Guararapes, state of São Paulo |
July 7 - 28 Holiness Youth Choir.
JEMS South America Department is pleased to work this year in partnership with the Holiness Youth Choir, led by Bonnie Nakasuji and Mary Tabuchi.
This July, the Youth Choir will be traveling to Brazil to minister and share the good news of Jesus Christ through music, testimonies, crafts, games, skits and personal relationships. They will be traveling to eleven cities in three states over a period of twenty days, with visits to churches, hospitals, schools, homes, community centers and Japanese associations.
The partnership with JEMS means that for the first time, the Youth Choir will be ministering to many JEMS-affiliated churches, including Free Methodist Churches, as well as churches in the Holiness denomination. We are excited for doors that are opened due to many years of relationship building by the South America department.
The Youth Choir served on a missions trip to Ghana in 2014. A video of their ministry can be seen here. Thank you to Mari for the production of the video.
Africa 2014 (Edited) from Mari on Vimeo.
July 15 - August 5 Belém, Brazil (Amazon basin). I will be accompanying a mixed JEMS team made up of Brazilians and North American workers. This ministry is JEMS' effort to cultivate a missions spirit among members of our Nikkei Brazilian churches. The Brazil component of the team, comes from the state of São Paulo and will serve with our North American workers in the rainforest of the Amazon, working at two weeks of youth camp. Belém is a three-day drive from São Paulo, but thankfully, we're flying!
![]() |
| Pr John with young people from ICEA church, Belém, Brazil |
August 14 - 28 Japan. In response to the invitation of a Brazilian Nikkei pastor working among the dekasegi (laborers from South America working in Japan), Pastor Rick Chuman and I will be meeting with churches, pastors, campgrounds and the expatriate community in various Japanese cities.










No comments:
Post a Comment