Tuesday, October 27, 2015

The reality of evil

It has been a blessing in my life that I have never had to say the awful words, "My friend was murdered."  I suppose that this is the benefit of living in the US, in a fairly stable community environment.  Other people in other places and countries are not so fortunate to make that claim.  

This changed for me on Monday, October 26th.  As I read through my Facebook newsfeed, I came across a puzzling post that someone had just written in Portuguese, "Go in peace, Sayuri."  The post was referencing a friend of mine from the Amazon region of Brazil, from the Japanese colony of Tomé Açu.  "What?"  I thought.  That expression is generally reserved for someone when they die.  Concerned, I began looking through various profiles of friends and family and found words like, "Unexpected.  Horrible. Barbaric.  Brutal."  With a growing dread of what those words were referring to, I turned to Google and entered my friend's name.  


There it was.  Online news articles referring to the disappearance and murder of my friend, Karina Sayuri Konagano.  I sat at  my desk in the JEMS office and cried.  I had just seen her in August.  In fact, although her city of Tomé Açu was four hours by car from Belém where I was serving, I made a special point to visit that town because I wanted to see her as well as to encourage others in that farming colony.  We met, together with her sister and father, at the agricultural fair.  The photo is from that visit and that event on August 1.



Such a great person!  She loved God and loved people.  That smile would dazzle you, and her laugh would set off a roomful of smiles.  There was so much hope for her future.  She was in a special relationship with another friend of mine.  All that was shattered this past weekend.


The news reports say that whoever killed her also burned her body.  Who does that?  


We read daily in the papers about the reality of evil.  It has struck very close to the Christian community in northern Brazil through the horrific death of Karina Sayuri.  While I feel absolutely devastated by the news, I cannot imagine how her family must feel.  


They buried her today in accordance with Brazilian law.  But justice remains to be pursued.  The way that we overcome evil Paul says is to overcome it with good.  "Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good."  (Romans 12:21).  


At times like this we can feel helpless and hopeless, but we are not without either.  Both help and hope may be found as we go to the Lord in prayer.  This is where evil is overcome, as we bow before the throne of grace.  I invite you to join me in praying for 1) the Konagano family as they mourn and struggle with the loss of their beloved daughter and sister.  2)  for law enforcement to apprehend the perpetrator of this awful crime that justice might be done, and 3) for the dear Japanese Evangelical Church of the Amazon, where Karina Sayuri was a member.  I am sure that they have been rocked by this despicable expression of evil.


I was blessed to know Sayuri's kindness, goodness and warmth.  Many today are feeling her absence.  


If you think of it, please pray for her parents (Michinori and Amelia) and her two sisters.  The sisters served with the JEMS team at camp this past July.

The Psalmist provides a lesson about evildoers in Psalm 94
The Lord is a God who avenges.
    O God who avenges, shine forth.
Rise up, Judge of the earth;
    pay back to the proud what they deserve.
How long, Lord, will the wicked,
    how long will the wicked be jubilant?
They pour out arrogant words;
    all the evildoers are full of boasting.
They crush your people, Lord;
    they oppress your inheritance.
They slay the widow and the foreigner;
    they murder the fatherless.
They say, “The Lord does not see;
    the God of Jacob takes no notice.”
Take notice, you senseless ones among the people;
    you fools, when will you become wise?
Does he who fashioned the ear not hear?
    Does he who formed the eye not see?
10 Does he who disciplines nations not punish?
    Does he who teaches mankind lack knowledge?
11 The Lord knows all human plans;
    he knows that they are futile.
12 Blessed is the one you discipline, Lord,
    the one you teach from your law;
13 you grant them relief from days of trouble,
    till a pit is dug for the wicked.
14 For the Lord will not reject his people;
    he will never forsake his inheritance.
15 Judgment will again be founded on righteousness,
    and all the upright in heart will follow it.
16 Who will rise up for me against the wicked?
    Who will take a stand for me against evildoers?
17 Unless the Lord had given me help,
    I would soon have dwelt in the silence of death.
18 When I said, “My foot is slipping,
    your unfailing love, Lord, supported me.
19 When anxiety was great within me,
    your consolation brought me joy.
20 Can a corrupt throne be allied with you—
    a throne that brings on misery by its decrees?
21 The wicked band together against the righteous
    and condemn the innocent to death.
22 But the Lord has become my fortress,
    and my God the rock in whom I take refuge.
23 He will repay them for their sins
    and destroy them for their wickedness;
    the Lord our God will destroy them.


No comments: