Thursday, July 24, 2014

Mixed up



Three words are making my memory struggle.  They are the Spanish words, Adelante  Andale  Dale.  


I have heard the words in three countries.  Adelante in Paraguay seems to be a polite way of saying, "Go ahead."


Andale in Mexican Spanish means "Go on!"  Or "Hurry up!"  It doesn't seem to carry the same feeling of politeness.  Maybe because I hear the words in Speedy Gonzalez's voice.  

Update August 5:  After speaking with my teacher, I discovered that this word "andale" is used only in Mexico and Central America. It's meaning is as defined above. It is not used at all in South America.

In describing the meaning of  "Dale," 
landingpadba.com says, 
"Don’t bother looking it up in the dictionary, this one is confusing."

1.   In Buenos Aires, most of the times you hear “dale,” it will be used much in the same manner as English speakers use, “ok” or "Let's do it."

2.   Sometimes, "dale" can also be used to hurry another person along. “Bueno. Dale, dale!” (Come on. Hurry, hurry!)


3.  Google Translator translates the word as "Bring it on.'



While I don't expect this summer's Spanish intensive to clear up all the uncertainty and confusion, I'm hopeful that I'll finish the intensive with a few tools to better enable me to communicate to our Spanish speaking audience.  Dale.

No comments: