Monday, July 28, 2014

Taking small bites


South America is a huge place.  In fact, my first day of travel will require 29 hours to get to my destination in Asunción, Paraguay!  

That's why this ministry has to be approached in bite-sized portions.  If I think about the fact that I will be on the field for almost three months, it can be a little overwhelming for someone who is not a career, on-field guy.  I hope that you will pray with me that the ministries, the meetings, the preaching, the new contacts, the long hours of travel, can be addressed with grace and with the reminder that it is God who strengthens me.  

Pray that I approach my schedule in small chunks.  That I may see each day as a blessing and an adventure.  Pray that I don't get overwhelmed looking too far down the road.  

Missionaries who live and serve long-term on the field, have the privilege of pacing their ministries over years.  Cultivating relationships, developing ministry plans, relishing the warmth of partnerships built over months, years and decades.  In my case, many of these same projects must be completed in the two to three months I am on the field.  There is pressure to work hard, to bring projects to completion quickly and little time to rest.  This isn't healthy.  

Pray that this ministry will be balanced by times of work and laughter.  By long-term vision casting and an appreciation for the moment.  By hard work and by restful sleep.  Pray that I am not overwhelmed by the enormity of the task ahead. 

My schedule: (for team information and photos, please scroll down)



July 31 - Departure LAX


August 1 - 29 - Asunción, Paraguay.

August 29 - September 1 - Buenos Aires;

September 1 - Arrive in São Paulo

September 5 - 7 - Denominational meeting, Camp Panorama

September 7-14 - Visit churches in the interior of São Paulo state

September 16 - 22 - Travel to Belém

September 22 - Return to São Paulo

September 25-28 - Visit JEMS worker at the Sorocaba Free Methodist Church

September 29 - October 4 - Visit churches in the city of São Paulo.

October 6 - 13 - Lima, Peru

October 13 - Return to LAX
*   *   *   *   *   *   *

For the more visual among you, here are the JEMS' Team travel schedule and team photos (click on calendars to enlarge):






August - Summer teams serving South America  (all photos can be clicked to enlarge)


Team 1 (above) from August 3 to 21 in the cities of Pedro Juan Caballero, Paraguay and Sorocaba, Brazil.  (L-R:  Julia Ip, Chris Wong, Julie Khou and team leader, Katie Edwards)



Team 2 (solo worker, above): August at the Itaquera Holiness Church and September at the Sorocaba Free Methodist Church (Alyssa Gozun, who is serving her third time with JEMS South America)

No comments: