(A re-shaping of my post-mission prayer letter)
My visit to Argentina, Paraguay and Peru brought me in direct conflict with my attitude toward the Spanish language and its importance as a tool for my work. In my 14 years of ministry in Brazil, I've been blessed to be able to communicate quite readily in the Portuguese language.
My resistance to learning Spanish has always been that I didn't want to "pollute" my Portuguese. The reality is that in the early years of ministry in Paraguay (a Spanish-speaking country), I was always around people who either spoke English or Portuguese, so the sense of my needing Spanish wasn't so great. Since God has opened the doors to Argentina and now to Peru, my contacts have been less conversant in English, and my Portuguese has been rendered null.
After attending the COPANI (Nikkei community leadership) conference in Buenos Aires last September, I was struck by the number of Nikkei who were Spanish speaking. It became clear as my English and Portuguese gave me limited traction, that I would need to speak Spanish if I was going to continue to serve as a bridge to those communities.
Unfortunately for me, I mentioned that my preconceptions had kept me from learning Spanish. But God, in his mercy, allowed me to see that the potential for Spanish ministry was immense as I met Nikkei from Argentina, Uruguay, Chile, Peru, Bolivia, Colombia, Paraguay, the DR. So, I'm gonna try. Even with my brain in 60+ mode, I'm going to make the investment in a new language.
As a result I will be doing a Spanish language intensive, God willing, in July or August of this year. I plan to take a language course in the city of Asunción, Paraguay, while at the same time cultivating partnerships with the Nikkei community there. Why Asunción? Most language instructors will agree that immersion is the best method for language acquisition. In LA, I can take a Spanish class, but as soon as I leave the classroom, I can revert to English. In Paraguay, once I leave the classroom, I will have to immediately put to use what I've learned.
Of course, I will not simply rely on the three-week intensive course, but will do some independent study in the months leading up to the summer ministry. You can partner with me in this project by supporting the language study through gifts to the following link: John Katagi fund at JEMS or through the JEMS South America Fund. Your gifts are always appreciated.
JEMS Summer Missions Program
Speaking of the summer ministry, a big question mark looms over Brazil. With the World Cup being hosted by Brazil this year, there will be quite a bit of travel and logistical difficulties. Most Brazilians are uncertain that Brazil will be able to pull off this international event smoothly. Many cartoons like the one below are now appearing:
In order to adjust to the World Cup schedule which begins in mid June and ends in mid July, many Brazilian schools have changed their vacation schedule to the two weeks before June 15. That means that the camps and VBS programs will begin at the first of June. Of course you can see the difficulty already as most of our US students and other volunteers may find it difficult to adjust their schedule and leave the US that early.
![]() |
| The first man says, "Wow! The stadium is packed!" The second guy answers, "Are you kidding? We still haven't left the airport!" |
In order to adjust to the World Cup schedule which begins in mid June and ends in mid July, many Brazilian schools have changed their vacation schedule to the two weeks before June 15. That means that the camps and VBS programs will begin at the first of June. Of course you can see the difficulty already as most of our US students and other volunteers may find it difficult to adjust their schedule and leave the US that early.
We have one definite request for a JEMS team to serve in the city of São Paulo beginning on July 8. We are also exploring ministry opportunities in Argentina as well as Paraguay. Please pray about your own participation. We recommend that you plan for about 24 days of travel. Leaving on July 8 and returning on the 31st.
Health concerns
Several of you have been kind enough to ask about my health situation. I am still under a doctor's close attention regarding my kidney situation. My back was a bit troublesome during the seven weeks in South America. I found myself taking Tylenol a bit more than I would've liked. Tylenol as a pain reliever is okay for me. I'm not permitted to take NSAID pain relievers (Ibuprofen, Advil, Motrin, Aleve) however, due to potential negative impact on my existing kidney problems.
I plan to speak with my doctor about my options for my back. The degeneration of the disc has created a condition called spinal stenosis. This puts pressure on the sciatic nerve which causes pain in my back and a sensation of partial paralysis down my legs. Needless to say I'm very grateful for the South American friends who were kind enough to offer rides and to give me special consideration as I needed to travel to various meetings and services to conduct my ministry with JEMS.
Ministry going forward
I plan to speak with my doctor about my options for my back. The degeneration of the disc has created a condition called spinal stenosis. This puts pressure on the sciatic nerve which causes pain in my back and a sensation of partial paralysis down my legs. Needless to say I'm very grateful for the South American friends who were kind enough to offer rides and to give me special consideration as I needed to travel to various meetings and services to conduct my ministry with JEMS.
Ministry going forward
I'm not shortsighted by any means. I've been investigating potential staff recruitment in Brazil to help with the administrative and ministry load in South America. I understand though and I'm trusting God to extend my ministry for some years yet. However, in the meantime, JEMS and I will need to pray and seek God's leading for other staff people to take on the responsibility of ministry for South-America missions. Please pray with me to that end.
Thank you for your encouragement offered through your prayers and support gifts.
May God bless you!
John Katagi
JEMS
Thank you for your encouragement offered through your prayers and support gifts.
May God bless you!
John Katagi
JEMS



No comments:
Post a Comment