Thursday, March 13, 2014

What exactly do I do?


We know the story.  Jesus engages a woman in conversation as she came to draw water from a well.  Not just any woman, but a Samaritan woman.  

John 4:3 tells of the encounter:  
"So Jesus left the Judean countryside and went back to Galilee. To get there, he had to pass through Samaria. He came into Sychar, a Samaritan village that bordered the field Jacob had given his son Joseph. Jacob’s well was still there. Jesus, worn out by the trip, sat down at the well. It was noon. A woman, a Samaritan, came to draw water. Jesus said, “Would you give me a drink of water?” (His disciples had gone to the village to buy food for lunch.)" (The Message)

Let's look at this passage from a missional perspective.  It begins by saying that he left the Judean countryside.  This is how missions begins.  It begins with our leaving the places that are familiar, comfortable, that fit within our worldview, in order to go to a place, a community, a country, a people, whose perspectives and attitudes are different from our own.

It tells us that Jesus was worn out by the trip.  He was tired.  He was affected physically by where his ministry had taken him.  During the January mission project in Argentina, two of my team members, a Brazilian couple, sat down with me and told me how much they valued my presence there.


"It would be easy to excuse yourself 
and not do this."

They said, "Pastor John, we know that you could have just stayed home.  You have daily pain in  your back and legs.  It would be easy to excuse yourself and not do this.  Today it is almost 10o degrees and we imagine that you could be in your house or in your car (in Los Angeles) enjoying air conditioning.  But we are so glad that you chose to be here with us."

Yes, most assuredly the travel and ministry commitments are quite challenging.  I spent the last two months of ministry in four countries.  On average, I was sleeping in a different bed every third day or so.   While I can speak two languages fairly well (English and Portuguese), I found myself forced to use two languages that were probably unrecognizable to those who heard them (Spanish and Japanese).  

This is what it means to cross into another culture.  It's not comfortable.  It's not easy.  But God gives so much grace to enable me to recount my experiences with joy.  

Continuing in John 4:9-14
"The Samaritan woman, taken aback, asked, “How come you, a Jew, are asking me, a Samaritan woman, for a drink?” (Jews in those days wouldn’t be caught dead talking to Samaritans.)  Jesus answered, “If you knew the generosity of God and who I am, you would be asking me for a drink, and I would give you fresh, living water.”

What Jesus did was find a place of common ground. He identified a need and sought to offer an opportunity to have that need met. In the same way, my task is to find places of commonality. I look for what I call "bridge points." Places where I can connect with, not only with individuals, but with communities. To discover what can be offered as a means of meeting not only the perceived need, but to meet the underlying need for Jesus Christ.

This is not done in a sneaky way. People with whom I speak know that I am a Christian and that I am a pastor. They understand that my purpose is not simply one of offering programs with a hidden agenda. Our purpose to share the gospel, to teach the Bible - woven together with our camping, sports and English classes - are fully disclosed as I work with groups in different cities and countries.

As a church, we are not called to isolate ourselves from whatever Samaritan-culture surrounds us.  The Great Commission doesn't invite us to circle the wagons and be protective of what we've learned and accumulated.  Jesus still invites us "You are to go into all the world and preach the Good News to everyone, everywhere.  Those who believe and are baptized will be saved. But those who refuse to believe will be condemned." (Mark 16:15-16 TLB).

The condemnation of which Jesus speaks remains a harsh reality.  In missions, whether in the ethnic enclaves of our own communities, or in towns and cities in other countries, we have a wonderful opportunity to see people move from death (condemnation) to life.  Jesus made a clear promise:  “Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life."  (John 5:24 NIV)


My prayer is that God will continue to use us to "bridge" communities to Jesus.  And if that means going to places that are unknown or uncomfortable, I pray that God will give us the willingness and courage to do so.



You can partner with me through gifts to the following link:  John Katagi fund at JEMS or through the JEMS South America Fund.  Your gifts are always appreciated. 

God bless you!
Pr John

No comments: