Thursday, October 22, 2009

Manaus - Day 2

Note: Please check the main blog at: http://prayer4pj.blogspot.com/ for the most recent updates! (just click Prayer4PJ above the pink line)

Day 2 began with a meeting with Pr Suzuki of the Portuguese department of the Manaus Holiness Church. I'll admit to being taken aback when he said, "Pastor John, you got old!" Ah yes, the open frankness of the Brazilian culture. Just what I need! haha

Discussions included possible participation in a weeklong Japanese language camp next July. I was able to spend some time with the pastor and his family, though he was just getting over the flu.

Photobucket

Before much time passed, I was asked to go downstairs to the church's pre-school program and teach them a song in English. What to do? Well, I taught them "head and shoulders knees and toes" as well as the ever popular "eyes and ears, mouth and nose." Not sure they were impressed.
Photobucket

After my meeting with Pr Suzuki concluded, I went back to the Josephina de Mello school, carved out of the jungle. I met with some students and their English teacher

Photobucket

As I was detected nodding off this afternoon, the pastor insisted that I rest. It's easily 100 today with full-on Amazonian humidity. Speaking of the Amazon, the pastor took me by the river for a view.

Photobucket

Now for a few moments to rest before tonight's activities and meetings.

No comments: