Saturday, October 04, 2008

Backtracking to catch you up

I wasn't able to devote much time to keeping you updated after the first few days after my arrival in Asunción.

It was a safe and yet somewhat wearying travel day. I left Camarillo by Road Runner shuttle at 2:30pm on Monday, September 29th. I arrived in Asunción on Tuesday, at 5:30pm Asunción time. You guessed it! 5:30pm Asunción time is 2:30pm Camarillo time. That meant that I had safely endured 24 hours of travel!

My first evening in Asunción was spent with my host family, Pr Koki and Mari Nowada.

Photobucket

Early the next morning, Pr Koki and I headed out for our first ministry contact in the Japanese farming colony of Pirapó in southern Paraguay, a six hour drive. Before arriving at our homestay, we made several visits to families in Pirapó.

Photobucket

Speaking briefly with the young girl in yellow above, I found that there was interest on the part of the children to learn conversational English in addition to the other programs we hope to bring to Pirapó.

Photobucket

We conducted a Bible study where I was given an opportunity to share.


Photobucket

The next morning we were up early to investigate areas around Pirapó where ministries might take place

Photobucket Photobucket

Pr Koki conducted a Bible study and actively ministered to his flock in Pirapó. I had the opportunity to share vision about the ministries we hope to have in the colony next July.
Photobucket Photobucket

Just before lunch, Mr Masaoka (center, below) introduced Pr Koki and me to Miss Yuuki (left, below), who is teaching English in the colony. We discovered that she had taken a bilingual Spanish-English course in Encarnación (southern Paraguay on the border of Argentina). We thought she would be an important contact for our ongoing discussions with the colony about our July JEMS program.


Photobucket

As we prepared to leave the colony of Pirapó, we stopped by the Japanese Association. Mr Masaoka again presented Pr Koki and I to the Association General Manager there. Those who know the Japanese culture understand the importance of these contacts and presentations.

Photobucket

Please pray for us that doors will be open. The colony has had a recent brush with a cult group who are very aggressive in their efforts to come into the colony. This caused some to express hesitation about the presence of JEMS' ministry. We pray that a good word in the right places, together with the work of the Holy Spirit will cause any resistance to JEMS to be diminished and removed.


No comments: