Friday, October 03, 2008

"Pirapó" in Guarani

Your hot tip for the day: The "C" on the water faucet in Paraguay means "Caliente," not "Cold."


Mark 1:17 says, "Come follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."

This invitation of Jesus resonated in my mind as I listened yesterday to Mr Masaoka, one of the pioneer settlers of the Pirapó colony in Paraguay. He said, "The meaning of the colony name Pirapó, comes from the Guaraní word, 'to catch fish by hand'."

To catch fish by hand is both personal and requires your full attention. In an age of automated gadgets, radar, fish finders and so on, the one thing that cannot be automated is the task of introducing someone to faith in Christ. Every encounter is an opportunity to "fish by hand," as it were.

Later that day I sat with Pr Koki Nowada at a home in the La Paz colony as he patiently and skillfully shared the good news of Jesus Christ with three Japanese educational and social volunteers who are working a two-year stint in the colonies of La Paz and Yguazu via the auspices of
JICA.

The conversation went on for over 45 minutes, but not in a tiresome way. Pastor Nowada answered their questions in such an engaging and gracious way that they continued to inquire further. You could almost see their hunger for spiritual truth.

Photobucket

Catching fish by hand is like that, I suspect. It requires patience, skill and grace. And catching fish by hand isn't a spectator sport. You have to get into the water and get wet.

I want to invite my JEMS readers to "catch fish by hand" by coming to Asunción and Pirapó with JEMS for two-and-a-half weeks in July 2009. Applications for team membership are being accepted with a January 2009 deadline. Paraguay team training will begin in early March. Some Spanish or Japanese language is helpful.

Thanks for continuing to pray for me as I make these various contacts. Please also pray that God would specifically touch the hearts of 8 men and women at home who would be willing to serve the Lord in the nation of Paraguay.

PJ is back in Asunción at the moment and preparing for meetings this evening and tomorrow.

Thank you so much for your prayer support.

No comments: